You remember at the end of last year, back in Newcastle, I had some yucky�brown tartar stuck on my back teeth that was just too difficult to get off�from simply chewing bones & stuff?so I had to go in and get a ?dental scaling? done at the vets (and also some suspicious lumps removed at the same time while I was sleeping).
Afterwards, my teeth were all lovely and white�& clean and�the vet told my humans that it would be good if they could brush my teeth regularly ? to keep my teeth that way for as long as possible.
Well, Hsin-Yi had socialised me to a toothbrush from a young pup ? even though I didn?t need my teeth brushed then, she likes to always prepare for the future ? just in case one day I need to cope with something, if I am already socialised to it�then it wouldn?t be so scary & stressy (she says it?s like teaching a human pup to swim so that they always have that skill if they ever fall in the water, even if they don?t plan on going to swimming pools or beaches much) ? it?s the same reason she always gives the kitties in our house regular baths ? so that they are used to it ? so if they ever need a bath (eg. got something poisonous on their fur), they would be easy to handle and wouldn?t feel so stressy.

the usual pet toothbrushes...
Anyway, so I had already learnt to accept a normal pet toothbrush and also a ?finger brush? ? but my humans were usually quite lazy and hardly ever brushed my teeth. They said it was such a hassle and not very easy to do, coz I would keep ?clamping down? on their fingers or the brush and it was hard to reach the back teeth?
?but then after the vet?s advice, my humans decided that they had to try again and be better about brushing my teeth.
Then Hsin-Yi had a brilliant idea: why not teach me to accept a Buzzy Toothbrush? A lot of humans use Buzzy Toothbrushes to clean their teeth (they call them ?electric toothbrushes?) ? and they say it cleans the teeth better & faster. Hsin-Yi thought it would be the same for doggie teeth and it would also make it easier for them to reach the inside, back parts of my mouth and it doesn?t matter if I clamp down a bit, because the ?head? part of the toothbrush would still be rotating and brushing and doing it work?all it would need is for her to ?desensititise me? to it and teach me to associate it with nice things, so I would not be scared of it.
So Hsin-Yi found�a cheap�Buzzy Toothbrush from the supermarket with an extra-large head and then the fun began! ![]()
Now my humans try to do this every couple of days, after dinner. On the other days, I usually get�my Nylabone after dinner?so far, my teeth are still gleaming and hopefully, this way, my teeth will stay nice & clean for a very long time! ![]()
* Sorry ? we?ve fallen behind with our Google Reader and visiting blogs again!
Please bear with us ? we?ll try to come round & catch up with everybody as soon as we can!
No comments:
Post a Comment